Holy, Matrimony!



I met this kid back in '92 - the year before Souls of Mischief's glorified year of '93. He was the first kid in my class that actually looked like me - black hair split in the middle, ethnic features, some sense of style. In fact, he may have been the first kid to have darker skin than me. Certainly enough reason for me to befriend this kid. Two decades later, this guy is getting married. Being a childhood friend of mine, my mom was naturally excited to hear the news, so today she came bearing old photographs from my 12th birthday party. And what can you observe in these photographs? Minorities showing white kids how to get down! In one picture, Jared (my boy getting married) is teaching the other kids how to do "the Butterfly." Add 18 years, a hundred pounds or so, Marlboros and Jack Daniels and you get the older, slightly more mature versions of these crazy kids. And so, appropriately, a track that represents my current sentiment and fits perfectly - reminiscent of easier days, reminiscent of the 90's, aged 20 years but retains the same swagger, a remix produced by Humble Egos' J-Squared:


J-Squared - Back in the Day Remix (Ahmad) by J-Squared


We're definitely at that age. Everyone's settling down and getting ready to start their families. My brother will trade in his "I" for a "we" in 3 months time. Humble Egos' very own Richie Rich will be joining the ranks before the end of next year. And a few more of our near and dears will be doing the same just as soon. Congrats to all of you, and an important message from UGK and OutKast:

0 comments:

top